This cake may look like a chocolate cake from the outside, but cut into it to reveal the rainbow layers inside! This fabulous cake is topped with a chocolate Fangks icing and is sure to be a hit at any birthday party, for young or not so young guests. Vanilla Sponge
- 250g unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups Natvia
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Essence
- 6 eggs
- 3 ½ cups Self Raising Flour
- ¾ cup Milk
Vanilla Cream Filling
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla essence
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup FANGKS Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 5 sugar free chocolate chip cookies
Preheat the oven to 160C
- To make the cake layers, grease and line 4 x 20cm cake tins. Or line 2 cake tins to re-use later.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the Natvia and half of the eggs and beat until combined. Beat in the rest of the eggs. Sift in the flour and add the milk, stir through until combined.
- Divide the batter into 4 parts and mix with your choice of different colours of food dye, for this recipe we used Blue, Green, Yellow and Purple. Pour the different batters into their individual cake tins and bake for 15-20 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Stand in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the filling by beating the cream until soft peak form, add the vanilla essence and beat until combined. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Make the icing by beating the cream until light and fluffy. Add the Fangks and milk and beat until combined.
- Build the cake by placing one of the completely cooled cake layers on a plate. Cover with 1/3 of the cream filling. Continue with the next 3 cake layers. When placing the top layer on ensure it is flipped over so that the flat bottom is on top.
- Start to coat the cake with a little of the Fangks icing, using a spatula to smooth over the top and draw down icing from the sides to the lower levels. Slew the spatula in a glass of hot water in between applications. Smooth a light layer onto the cake first, called the crumb layer. And then proceed to coat the cake in the final layer of icing.
- Place three of the cookies in the middle of the cake and crumble over the other two. Place the candles on and serve.
Cake layers can be made a day in advance. Cake can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.